How I Make a Full Time Income Blogging at Home
A few years ago if you would have told me that I would make a living blogging I would have looked at you funny. Back then I would read about others making money blogging and thought it may work, but couldn’t really believe that others were making money online.
Don’t get me wrong, I was always trying to make a little extra spending money by selling on eBay and on a few used books on Amazon. But I got a little tired of packaging up my items and shipping them.
I started blogging completely on a whim just to share my love of crochet with others. Then I learned how you can make money with your blog by sharing affiliate links from sites like Amazon, Shareasale and others.
If you are interested in starting a blog try out Bluehost for $3.95 a month it’s worth it to check it out and fall in love with blogging like I have!
Around the age of 44 I found out I was going to be a grandma for the first time. I was so excited but also sad at the same time to try and figure out how I was going to be able to spend more time with my grandchildren before they grew up. I wasn’t exactly happy with my job pushing paperwork and I always have enjoy being creative and writing. So I decided to look into how I could reinvent myself as a blogger.
Things I tried before blogging – I did try out a few other ways to make money before blogging but was never very successful at making more than a few dollars. I tried selling on eBay but grew tired of it. I tried writing for places like Hubpages but found I wasn’t making enough money on the site.
I was successful at writing book for Amazon Kindle and selling them through their digital program but that’s a whole different blog post for another day.
I’m not going to tell you it’s going to be easy, but I will share some of my success as well as what I did wrong before I started making a full-time income blogging. I read everything I could about blogging and watch YouTube videos but came to find out not everything works for everybody.
THE FIRST THING I LEARNED
Some of the blogs I read were encouraging me to get several blogs out there and create more than one niche. I had about 7 or 8 blogs going as of this year I am going down to 2 so I can focus more time on the things that work.
CREATE A NICHE
While I knew little about only marketing, affiliate income, blog posting, or writing, I did know a lot about crafts and gardening. I realized while there were other sites out there sharing their knowledge about this subject they weren’t always answering the questions I wanted answered and knew other readers would want this information also.
You may not be a blogger but you can easily share your love of pets, nature, coupons, shopping, fashion, food or other hobbies with readers. Figure out what people need and solve their problems, answer the questions, and show them how you can really help them!
BUILDING YOUR BLOG
You probably won’t be making money overnight but you can start posting a few articles on a blog. Start with sites such as Blogger or WordPress and get your own domain and host your site with a web host such as FatCow (see their current specials) or Bluehost. I like both Bluehost and FatCow but I moved my site to FatCow because of their support and customer service.
Blogger and WordPress are fairly easy to learn but does take some trial and error. If you want to build a web site quickly I would suggest trying this site on How to Build a Web Site.
How to Set Up Your Blog
Creating a new blog can be lots of fun along with a bit of work. You may have several questions on how to attract readers, make money blogging, and creating a great blog!
- Pick a Great Blog Name – choose a name that will fit in with your niche of your blog. If you are writing about gardening or parenting, make sure the name somehow reflects this.
- Select a topic that you enjoy – Blogging can easily get boring if you don’t enjoy it. There are so many wonderful topics available to write about including: Food, Family, Crafts, travel, photography, finances, coupons and more!
- Create a Self-Hosted Blog – I started out on blogger because it was a much easier format for me to work with but I quickly learned that WordPress was the way to go. Self-hosting a blog is the right way to go. You will earn more traffic, money, and attract more advertisers this way.
- Schedule a few blog posts – I would recommend having a few posts scheduled to launch for future dates before you get ready to create your blog this will relieve the stress of writing and give your readers something to read.
- Social Media Accounts – These are important to keep up on and share with your readers. Bloggers should stay connected with their readers through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and other social media sites.
- Create an About Page – New readers will want to know who their blogger is.
- Publish a blog post as often as you can – Once a week at least to prevent your readers from disappearing.
- Create affiliate links through Google, Amazon and other sites in order to increase your revenue.
Creating Affiliate Links
An affiliate link connects your readers to a product or item that you may be reviewing or suggesting on your blog post and allows you to make money. There are several affiliate companies some of the major ones are Linkshare, CJ.com, Shareasale, and Amazon. You can read more about affiliate marketing online or through one of the affiliate web sites.
If you are interested in starting a blog of your own Click Here to Start a Blog on WordPress just register your domain, purchase hosting for your blog, connect your domain and hosting, (which you can skip if you have purchased both through Bluehost) and install WordPress.
It may sound a bit scary but hosting sites such as Bluehost and FatCow will help walk you through the process and answer any questions. I have no formal training creating website and if this grandma can do it anyone can! You can also use an automatic website builder such as this one.
You can also check into hiring a web designer through sites such as FIVERR to get you started or assist you with setting up your blog.
Here are a few affiliate programs to join…